This classic salad is said to have first appeared on a plate on July 4th 1921. Despite its name, it was first served in Tijuana, Mexico - although the cook was Italian. The recipe below is the more authentic version with egg and Worcestershire sauce. We haven't added any meat, but chicken and bacon make a great addition.
1/4 cup (about 50ml)
1) Drizzle lettuce with 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil. Toss to coat.
2) Add salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
3) Add vinegar and toss to coat.
4) Drizzle Worcestershire sauce over lettuce. Toss to coat. You can use anchovies here if you prefer.
5) Crack eggs over salad. Toss to coat.
6) Top with the croûtons and serve.